Monday, November 15, 2010

The beauty of love as it was made to be

 I love songs that are true. Songs that tell you about partying, glamor, and degrading you based on your social status ("she's cheer captain and I'm on the bleachers": BARF) are so unrealistic. Not only could I have written them hanging from a tree making loud monkey noises, but they don't mean anything. They sing about the world we think we live in, the one that is an illusion. Take these lyrics, for example. I reckon they took experience, spirit, and heart to write them, not adolescent hormones.

 Love it will not betray you
Dismay or enslave you, it will set you free
Be more like the man you were made to be
There is a design, an alignment, a cry
Of my heart to see,
The beauty of love as it was made to be.

This is so true, and everyone feels this cry from their heart to see the beauty he sings of. The only difference, is those who are patient, and those who are not. Friends of mine -- and others I know -- have already been through three, four, even five relationships. How long did they last? A few months if they were lucky. They are feeling this cry, but instead of letting it take its course, they are shoving it through their system, and looking for the love. As a result, they have multiple shattered friendships behind them and still the alignment is out of whack. Humans don't finish developing until their early twenties, not our teens people.
And what about me? How many boys have I held hands with? The answer is none. Is it because I'm a nerd? I doubt it. Maybe I'm socially awkward? Sure hope not. It's because I'm waiting for the cry. I have not yet felt its lusty tug, nor gone in search of it, and though I may not know how to write a breakup letter, I am better off than most of my peers. I am whole and undamaged, having not felt the loss of one whose affections I thought would never leave. Patience truly is a virtue.

These lyrics were from "Sigh No More" by Mumford & Sons

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Littleton, United States